Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Aamir's Garibi

In my field full of nincompoops I am considered an intellectual. I am loved and respected for my theatric talents. My word has a strong effect on the public psyche as acknowledged by the various companies who hanker after me for endorsing their products. I believe that free speech is my birthright and so I am entitled to speak anything that I wish to. The interpretation of my statements is left to the discretion of the listener. Under no circumstances am I supposed to be held responsible for my statements. They are just statements. If someone buys the products I endorse then its credit to me and my talents and on the other hand if my statements offend someone then I don't give a damn as I am entitled to "Freedom of Speech". It is my commendable bravery that helps me succeed in withstanding all the atrocities meted out against me by the unjust society and its rulers. It is my commendable bravery again that helps me fight all odds and speak all that comes to my mind - right, wrong, foolish, illogical. Hats off to me and my real life bravery.
He is so pathetic and we are even more so defending his excesses. Instead of urging him on we need to create more awareness in the society with regards to the Narmada issue so as to ensure that his statements don't spawn more ignorants like him. I under no circumstances subscribe to the view that the film should be banned but I would love to see to it that a person of Aamir's standing is made to realise his responsibilities as a celebrity.

No comments: